Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Grrrrrrrrr: Or a Short Rant!

Now, I'm a very patient man as those who know me well will testify. Yes Hilary I can hear you laughing! Anyway there are some things with which I lose patience and the latest is the VSO blogging system. Why, well it produces the worst html I've seen since I saw a page which had been word processed in Works and then converted. I wouldn't use the Word editor in this blog to edit anything other than a couple of lines of text it's horrid, horrid, horrid.

I'm sat here using it on a fast Broadband connection; what using this tool must be like for someone using a slow connection in a remote part of the world I dread to think. Actually I've got a pretty good idea because Hilary emails me her frustrations and I then edit the code for her. At least it seems to have stopped inserting superfluous code into my html. I don't think I've ever edited out so many non breaking spaces, superfluous paragraphs containing said non-breaking spaces and seemingly random line breaks. And if anybody can explain to me how it produced spans for a currency converter text I'll buy them a (virtual) pint!

No wonder there appear to be so few VSO bloggers using it; I'd have given up by now and moved elsewhere - Hilary however is made of sterner stuff!

Rant over!

2 comments:

  1. not so stern, after f'ing and blinding over my last couple of postings and the broken links I'm giving up on the VSO blogging site and will move elsewhere when I get back online. Sometime in the next 12 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I went elsewhere to start my blog, at least it seems like you can easily move a Blogger blog to other things like wordpress which I have also heard good things about and typepad which I know people who use who blog at length daily - now that means it can only be good I think.

    ReplyDelete